Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Photography / Video / History  |  History and Preservation  |  Gracefully Insane: Life and Death Inside America's Premier Mental Hospital
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gracefully Insane: Life and Death Inside America's Premier Mental Hospital  (Read 1465 times)
nextel
Urbex Legend

Forum

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »

My brother shared this with me, it's about McLean.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586481614/ref=s9_simz_gw_s4_p14_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EFYZ2BTK88TGA73M1X5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
WSH
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »

I actually own this book but have never read it.   What did  you and your brother think about it?
nextel
Urbex Legend

Forum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »

I justr ordered it, haven't got it yet.  My brother loved it, and said it was real interesting, and he's not the biggest mental health history buff, just a U.S History Buff
abandonedNH
massachusetts needs a new interest
Urbex Legend

got the modern sounds of modern massachusetts

View Profile http://www.abandonednh.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »

I have two copies of this book, and it's really well-written and comprehensive. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to know more history about the hospital. It also has a section of vintage photos of the campus that are pretty sweet.
WSH
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »

It also has a section of vintage photos of the campus that are pretty sweet.

Wow, I feel stupid that I never even opened the book  up!
Salt
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »

this book was very good, it had some awesome stories about some of the very wealthy people who went to McLean but also pointed out something i never realized which is when the hospital opened it had no intention of serving the rich, but because of the state hospital system which was growing it ended up serving the well-to-do.
Keti
Urbex Legend

I went to college so I am better than you

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:22:05 AM »

I'm late to this party but I'll jump in anyhow :P

I had a lot of fun writing a paper on this book (socioeconomic problems in mental health care blah blah). YES it is amazing! Talk about cool history, especially if you live around Boston. It's like a little glimpse into the secret lives of the Boston aristocrats, way better than anything "Reality TV" could throw at you. There are lots of interesting anecdotes throughout, weaved around the history of psychiatry as it happened, right at McLean.  It's written like a novel and is at times hard to believe it's non-fiction! The first time I read it was in one sitting, I couldn't put it down. Definitely not a stuffy history book!

I first read that years ago only because it was about McLean, but it was so engrossing I wanted to learn more. Probably one of the reasons I'm studying mental health care now. If for some reason you end up feeling the same way, I have some suggestions! (well, many suggestions... but I won't be that annoying.)

"Mad in America" by Robert Whitaker is similar to Gracefully Insane in some ways, in that there's a somewhat narrative quality to the writing. Keep an open mind here, it's basically an attack on how medications are being used to treat schizophrenia, though the book has a great deal of interesting history as well. I wouldn't take Whitaker's word on psychopharmaceuticals as gospel, but it is beyond interesting!

For a more partisan approach, though a bit heavier on the science is a book called "A History of Psychiatry" by Edward Shorter. Like Mad in America, there is a lot of really awesome historical information, in more depth - or rather, detailing different aspects - of mental health care. If you liked the narrative of Beam's book you really might like this one, it's amazing. There is SO much information packed into this book I could probably read it a hundred times and still want more.
Mike Dijital
Webmaster
Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• Est. 1975

View Profile Dijital Photography
    « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »

Wow, I feel stupid that I never even opened the book  up!

@WSH I read it, but for me it felt very textbookey if that makes sense... my ADHD couldn't handle it lol
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    « previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
    Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.