Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Photography / Video / History  |  History and Preservation  |  collecting a little artifact/ allowable or taboo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: collecting a little artifact/ allowable or taboo  (Read 4905 times)
S3d
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »

Perfectly acceptable.
Sethra Lavitra
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »

I personally don't take things 'cause like Mike said, there's no where to put it after a while! I don't think I have ever taken anything. I don't have a problem with it at all. Though it's a bummer to miss out on seeing some things that have been taken. I wouldn't miss the sprinkler heads though :-P

And Mike, that is so AWESOME that you have those lights installed!!!!!!
arntzville
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »

I personally don't take things 'cause like Mike said, there's no where to put it after a while! I don't think I have ever taken anything.
So you've never taken anything, and yet you don't take anything because, after a while, there's nowhere to put it. This is the dumbest post I've read in a while on any forum.
Skullflame
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:39 PM »

For me, it depends on where it's from.  I'd be too creeped out to take something from an asylum, for example.  Anywhere else is okay in my book.  Ironhorse had a shitload of train lights and various other stuff laying everywhere a while back that I still kick myself for not taking because they're gone now.
Scarecrow
Custom Titty
Urbex Legend

Valhalladelphia

View Profile Flickr
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »

So you've never taken anything, and yet you don't take anything because, after a while, there's nowhere to put it. This is the dumbest post I've read in a while on any forum.

It can't really be dumber than this

to me a building has a soul. When we abandon it the soul and warmth of the building start to die. So my answer is yes we help the acceleration of decay
Sethra Lavitra
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »

Well thank you for catching my poor writing skill. *hail*  You are so kind to do so.  So kind in fact, that I am compelled to restate what I have said in a more intelligent manner:

As I would have no where to put things, I have never taken a souvenir from a place I have explored.  If I were to take things from abandoned places, after a while there would be no where to put new things. If there were to be any taking of items from places I have explored, I would have no where to put them.

I hope that this takes away the offence I have put upon you by my previous dumb post and that you will forgive any future post that may become "the dumbest post" you have read in a while on any forum.   

cow
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »

Because of my overabundance of collected items, I leave a lot behind now. Most of what I've collected is smaller items that are just tucked here and there on bookshelves or wherever I have room. I have flowers planted in an old bedpan on my back porch, and I keep candy in the spit bowl of the huge dental machine that I have. There's a model of a kidney in a basket hanging in the corner on my porch (the kind of basket that used to hold a worker's clothes in a mill) and various door knobs & hinges on a book shelf in front of the books. I have rewired lights from hospitals hanging over my stove and over a table. I have glass jars (the type that once held cotton balls) filled with wooden blocks that were found in the stairwell of a hospital. None of it would mean anything to anyone, really, and most of the places I took them from are gone now. If I hadn't taken it, it would have been carted away with the rest of the rubble.
DrDark
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »

I have collected items but only if they were exceptional or really spoke to me. Mostly I just walk on past "stuff".
R3D
Admin
Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• I'LL PISS ON YO CAT!

View Profile Northville Regional Psychiatric Hospital
    « Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »

if i like something, i take it.otherwise itll end up in the dump, or some other explorer will take it. i dont care if it takes away from the next guy who explores, cuz odds are, theyd break or steal it. its part of the process. you cant get mad at it. the only person to blame is the asshole who didnt secure (or even care about) his building.
    everything inside the building will be lost forever. its much better than having it go to landfills.
    people who bitch about people taking or breaking something is a hypocrite. id rather see that shit live on in my display, than to see the skyscraper it was in get demolished and everything floated onto the freeway or to the dump while i think (man i was in there 50 times, why didnt i take MORE?!)
    Oh no way, I've been up for a thousand days
    But you can cut me down when I'm old and gray
    And if you catch me on the move, you can come along
    Or you can disapprove
    I might be hard to find, you know it happens every time
    R3D
    Admin
    Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• I'LL PISS ON YO CAT!

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »

if i like something, i take it.otherwise itll end up in the dump, or some other explorer will take it. i dont care if it takes away from the next guy who explores, cuz odds are, theyd break or steal it.
    fuck that guy anyway, he shoulda got there before me  :punk:
    Or you can disapprove
    k8 vonwolfie
    Urbex Legend

View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »

I enjoy keys mostly for whatever reason. So if I find one it goes straight into my bag. I can't imagine hauling half of the stuff mentioned on here out. I can't even begin to think how you would even do so. Like the dental chair? or the lights? wow. people should just get applause for being able to haul out stuff like that.

I once found a mini etch a sketch- though i know it wasn't something super old it just caught my eye and I felt bad for it being left behind. I also, recently, found an old spool of projection film that talks about if you like trees. I'm going to clean it up, try to find a projector to watch it on, and then get it framed. Wish I had taken that lion from NSH :( he looked so sad.
    Urbex Tom
    Urbex Legend

Delivery is free, but not from me!

View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »

I used to collect shit. Then when my closet was packed with useless shit I thought, "why am I doing this?".

I gave everything away and sold my holophanes.

Now if it's not breakable, it's a road block.
    SteaZer
    S.O.L
    Urbex Legend

"lord rick's tha shit"

View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »

For me, it's mainly little things but I been going after records lately, the weird shit is always on my list though. My collection ranges from a brick from a place in Philly to a dead lamb stuffed in a jar.
    Team FAT Kidz
    NoX
    I will always be angry for no good reason.
    Urbex Legend

I am still nowhere in life 20 years later

View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »

I never feel its wrong to  bring an item home from a location, but with that said I dont actively search things out to remove..the things that want to be kept make them self known ..be it as simple as some old keys to old signs,letters and files ect.

Ive recently been going through some of the things Ive collected over the years and started doing what was intended in the first play, putting them on display.. they get left behind in these dark dank places and forgotten about and its means a bit if even a few more people get to see them and learn a little from any story associated to the location it came from..
    (ie the patient interviews ive been posting)

making the displays has been a long time coming..items sat in boxes in closets,basements or storage for a while..
    so far this is what ive done (mind you nothing big awe inspireing but thats not really what im going for)

the photo nurses,orderlies and a few Doctors "THE TWENTY FIVE YEAR CLASS"  from 1930s.. its a clipping from the Overbrook Jottings,a monthly newspaper printed at and distributed (to the town )at Overbrook Hospital ..I have a handfull of these papers,some are duplicates and others are not, I didnt hack one apart for this I had it color coppied onto cardstock,looks just like the real printing almost.

the skeleton keys are from from various hospitals I have been too,some from  the older sections of essex, Greystone Hudson and Philadelphia state (byberry)

The round button is a service pin given to staff 125 years of caring 1876 GREYSTONE PARK 2001 With a picture of the rd leading up to the main building

a property tag from kings park (have a handfull of them just wanted to add it to the mix)

and a clipping from a patent interview at the bottom (have THOUSANDS of pages worth of interviews in about 5 books,in hindsite should have made coppies of this page as well but instead its a clipping,the page was so brittle just folding it caused it to split so the the rough edge look adds to it instead of a nice clean scissor cut..

just one question from a Dr and one reply from the patent .. it was something that just kinda stuck and though people could appreciate ...

Fri. June,4 1937

Dr XX. You have had the impulse to commit suicide. Still feel that way?
    Doe,Jane. No, I would rather live. I have everything to live for.

cow
    « Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »

I enjoy keys mostly for whatever reason. So if I find one it goes straight into my bag. I can't imagine hauling half of the stuff mentioned on here out. I can't even begin to think how you would even do so. Like the dental chair? or the lights? wow. people should just get applause for being able to haul out stuff like that.

I once found a mini etch a sketch- though i know it wasn't something super old it just caught my eye and I felt bad for it being left behind. I also, recently, found an old spool of projection film that talks about if you like trees. I'm going to clean it up, try to find a projector to watch it on, and then get it framed. Wish I had taken that lion from NSH :( he looked so sad.

Sometimes it's not as hard as you think. When I took the billboard that's hanging from the ceiling on my back porch, I used a truck. I saw it leaning against a wall in a small shed behind one of the main buildings. It was leaning against a wall with a table in front of it with the painted side facing the wall. It was covered with years of cobwebs & grime. I don't think anyone ever bothered to move the table to see what it was. I went back the next day with a tarp & truck, drove right up & loaded it in. It's not the kind of thing you can hide, it filled the entire bed of a full sized pickup. We just tarped it and drove off.
    lolz
    Urbex Legend

View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »

I saw 2 dudes from Camden collecting copper once at RPS and storing it in there truck. They would have to have pretty big shelves to display it all on.
    R3D
    Admin
    Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• I'LL PISS ON YO CAT!

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

I saw 2 dudes from Camden collecting copper once at RPS and storing it in there truck. They would have to have pretty big shelves to display it all on.
    lol theyre scrapping, not taking it to add to their collection.

people who say that taking shit is wrong, sweet, keep preaching that and dont take anything. more for me!
    Or you can disapprove
    SteaZer
    S.O.L
    Urbex Legend

"lord rick's tha shit"

View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »

For me, I think it's ok. I can see why some people don't like to and I respect that but. If I don't take it, someone else will and like r3d said. It's more for us to take/have.

Items that I grab vary from a piece of brick or a small sign to the weird. Like my dead lamb stuffed in a jar. Ask scrw, lol. I do indeed have some hot ticket items that I leave out for reasons but may oneday share.

And recently found a almost new diesel engine that I would love to grab but would probley never get. Just like the cp diesel engine @ kppc's power plant. God I love that thing. Lol
    Team FAT Kidz
    lolz
    Urbex Legend

View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »

lol theyre scrapping, not taking it to add to their collection.

people who say that taking shit is wrong, sweet, keep preaching that and dont take anything. more for me!

I Doubt it. They had they're ac unit collection with them.
    R3D
    Admin
    Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• I'LL PISS ON YO CAT!

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »

i noticed a pattern in this thread.
    "i dont have any more room in my closet"
    why is your stuff in a closet instead of on display?
    i have a whole room AND closet JUST for stuff ive liberated.
    Or you can disapprove
    Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
    « previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
    Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.