Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Regional Urban Exploring  |  Tri State  |  George Guenther Jr. Brewing Co.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George Guenther Jr. Brewing Co.  (Read 1068 times)
hoodwatch
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »

Another months old set I have been too lazy to post. I remember driving around this neighborhood at night after leaving a bar and noticing that a door on the loading dock appeared to be wide open. I shined my car headlights at the door and could indeed see it was open or missing. 2 days later we came here early on a Sunday and scoped out the place. Last time I had been inside was spring of 2009. After that it got sealed up because of all the graffiti appearing inside. I hadn't seen too many pictures from it since then. There were 2 ways to get in but one involved climbing a fence out in the open which the 2 police cars parked on the lot could easily see. The other was walking right into that open loading dock. The problem with the loading dock was the security cameras one the building next door aimed right at it. Being that it is all part of the same property it was safe to assume those cameras watched this building as well. After walking around for a while and running into another random guy taking photos early in the morning we decided the loading dock was still the best option. So we briskly walked up the stairs and across the ramp and into the darkness past the door. We went through the new side into the old side and as far up as we could go so we could see if anyone else was around from that vantage point. Everything was fine and we explored the entire building. When we went to leave we noticed the entrance we had came in was a lot darker than before. Seems at some point after we entered someone had came behind us and shut the door on us. I'm not sure if they knew we were inside or if someone had just noticed it was open and shut it. Either way we were a little sketched out. We decided the fastest option would be to jump out of the back of the building where they had smashed the wall down to get the bottling line equipment out. So we ended up jumping out of the building about 8ft to the ground and then jumping over 2 more fences and quickly into our cars for escape. I ended up driving around the neighborhood and past the loading dock and not only was the door closed but a sign and a cart and other junk had been pushed in front of it. Seems to me that would mean they were trying to keep someone trapped inside.

I talked to someone later on who said he had been working here but he did not specify why. I believe he was probably one of the people using the flood lights. I highly suspect they may start to rehab or demolish parts of this building soon.

This brewery was built around the turn of the century and made beer until the late 1970s. At it's peak in the 1950s it was the best selling beer in the city and was huge sponsor of the local sports teams. A change of owners and name in the early 1960s left it abandoned by the locals for other hometown brews. 3 years later the name was switched back but the damage to the reputation was too much and they never rebounded. Now this sits as the best known and most intact (hard to believe) relic of the city's brewing past.

This was the first place I ever explored so despite being kind of barren I still like it a lot.

11. The stairs are getting real ****ty...

28. Notice the red wire at the bottom of the photo. In the back there were flood lights with this red extension cord going from all the way outside of the building to way in the back. I know someone was in here recently to assess something...

33. Trying to recreate a classic shot of mine...

35. Looks like a face...

40. The floors in here were about as stiff as a piece of cardboard...

43. Pitch black in here...

44. Huge graffiti has been appearing on the roof so this place will get sealed tight again I am sure...

45. Ammonia was used to cool storage areas...

46. Same building but this section was last used by a Horseradish company...

47. Maybe some kind of labeling machine...

48. Pterodactyl eggs...

These are older night shots but I will post them for reference...

49. Wall removed to salvage bottling line equipment...

50. Loading dock...

AbandonedNJ
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »

awsome set
KRUSH
Realm Keeper of the Dead
Urbex Legend

It's Mr. Asshole to you!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:55 AM »

Likin the lines in 42.
ECUE
nightrider
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »

I was there Friday night, went in through the fenced area. Things got sketch when we were inside as well.

Some dude showed up not long after we got in, and started walking around between the buildings shining a flashlight into all the openings. They did this for a long ass time, and it seemed like they knew someone was inside or had been inside cause they checked the fence a few times too. There were other explorers there before us (ran into them leaving when we were going in), so I'm not sure if they got noticed, we got noticed, or if this was all just a routine. Then we heard a bunch of crashing and banging from the bottom of the new part, then the old part. Not sure what it was but we started thinking we'd be be sealed in. After doing whatever that was, the dude apparently just sat in his car, which he had brought inside the gate. At some point an SUV also showed up and parked across the outside of the gate.

We chilled up top until the noise stopped then managed to get out unnoticed, but it was pretty tense.
Mike Dijital
Webmaster
Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• Est. 1975

View Profile Dijital Photography
    « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »

WOW , what an incredible set @hoodwatch I love going through old posts and finding gems like this buried on page 10
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    « previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
    Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.