Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:50:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Photography / Video / History  |  History and Preservation  |  Fernald School
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fernald School  (Read 1287 times)
Skullflame
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

My aunt was a patient at Fernald many years ago.  When she was younger, she fell and hit her head and was never able to function normally anymore.   My mom also worked there for many years back when it was in full operation.  I remember her coming home one day with a huge dent in the side of her car.  She said that one of the patients had gotten mad over something during his walk, and he smashed his head into the side of her car.

I've always had an interest in the history of this place because it was so creepy there.  The place is huge and seemed even bigger when we were little and would go there to visit my aunt.

I have a few photos from there on my website (see my profile) in case anyone's interested.  It's easier to view them there than uploading them on Flickr and posting them here. 

As a resident of Waltham, it's interesting to see the battle between the city and state over this property.  It's a sad situation for the patients that are left because their parents and/or legal guardians want the center to remain open so that they can live the remainder of their lives there; eliminating disruption.  Unfortunately, a few patients that were moved to other facilities have since passed away due to stress and other circumstances.  One of which was a patient who suffered from Pica and ate a plastic bag, causing his death.

Anyway, here are a few links and things to check out:

History: http://www.asylumprojects.org/index.php?title=Fernald_State_School

Information about the re-use plans as well as a few maps of the campus: http://www.city.waltham.ma.us/fernald/

Boston.com story about the closure announcement: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/12/state_to_close.html

"60 Minutes" story:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/29/60minutes/main614728.shtml

Mike's post of Chronicle's story: http://mikedijital.us/deggi5/index.php?topic=6414.0

Edited to fix links
wettmickey
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:37:46 PM »

Without breaking any HIPPA regs, I can assure you that the transferred patients from Fernald that passed away were elderly and very medically involved.  I was called into a Director's office a few months back, I was rather nervous when I saw a social worker, my boss, 2 directors and some strangers.  They were the out of state family members of a Fernald patient that we had taken in about a year ago.  The brother and his wife wanted to thank me personally for spending the day with his sister calming her when their special needs brother moved in.  And how I was always available to assist her with her concerns.  The brother wished they had not listened to the Fernald staff that no other state facility was available with such great care.  For the aging retarded man would have benefited from a more modern facility filled with staff that spoke English and not Creole. 

For anyone interested in exploring Fernald be rather careful.  For they have installed wireless video cameras, which they move around every few days.  I guess the dedicated staff are robbing them blind
Skullflame
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:59:09 PM »

It's a sad situation for the patients that are left.  Thanks for your info regarding the patients.

I've heard that there are alarms on some of the newer and still occupied buildings, but I don't know how true that is.  I tried exploring there a few years ago and security was on me in seconds.  I saw someone in the storage building on the phone so I knew I was in for it.  They were okay about it in terms of not calling the cops and just told me to call the DMH for permission to photograph the buildings, which I did and they actually gave me permission just for the exterior only. 
Ademan
Urbex Legend

Forum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »

I've explored the majority of the abandoned buildings on the Fernald Campus, but will say, the security does a pretty top notch job there.

I first got my interest after Mike Dijital sent me a DVD of the 60 Minutes story of the State Boys Rebellion. I was instantly hooked and went out and got the book. It was one of the only books I read front to back pretty much nonstop.

Anyone who hasn't read into that stuff, really should. It's well worth your time.
SteaZer
S.O.L
Urbex Legend

"lord rick's tha shit"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »

Fernald state school is one that has always caught my eye on. After mike posted a doc on the boys rebellion at fernald. This place has sooo much history. More so then others. Thanks for the other links Skillflame.

Good looking sets
Team FAT Kidz
Mike Dijital
Webmaster
Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• Est. 1975

View Profile Dijital Photography
    « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »

LOL I had no idea I was influencing so many people    *hail*
    Big Ed
    Romper Room Do Bee
    Immortals
    Urbex Legend

View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »

LOL I had no idea I was influencing so many people    *hail*

Oh pshaw :nono:
    If life hands you melons your're probably dyslexic
    arntzville
    Urbex Legend

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »

Information about the re-use plans as well as a few maps of the campus: http://www.city.waltham.ma.us/fernald/
    Dude there are more than just a "few maps" there, I just ran across that last week when I was looking for news, and it is a treasure trove of shit. There's even a Sanborn map showing the steam tunnels, which I always wondered about.

I've explored there countless times with impunity, but it sounds like things have changed over the last year or so. Are they still letting the public walk/jog etc through campus?
    jtcolfax
    Urbex Legend

Forum

View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »

I want to eat some radiated oatmeal so I can go to a red sox game..
    wettmickey
    « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »

Had lunch with my Fernald friend the other day.  I was told unless Security recognizes the joggers and power walkers, they are kicked off the property.  The video cameras are moved every 2 days as staff discover their locations.  The Director of Fernald is a bitch!  She is pushing to fire and press charges against all Fernald staff caught taking momentos.  This director has been meeting with the state and local police over the videos on a weekly basis.  She is even asking staff for their work keys as they leave the facility to work elsewhere.  Fernald has many driveways, but now only 2 are open. 

I recall when Danvers was "cleaned out" by the Middleton Jail prisoners years back.  Boxes of brand new clothing was found, small household appliances, and even rooms with neatly stacked state linens.  None of this was brought to Tewksbury State, or offered to any other facility.  It was all dumped into large dumpsters.  What a waste. 

My friend, being a good soldier spent a solid week shredding old files!  Wouldn't risk their pension sneaking out files from the mid 1800's for me.  I would have loved to read them and share with you all.  But I did receive a small gift of Fernald.  Which I will share with you all when I retrieve my camera from camp. 
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    « previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
    Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.