Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Photography / Video / History  |  History and Preservation  |  The last of Danvers State to Fall
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The last of Danvers State to Fall  (Read 1088 times)
wettmickey
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:34:27 AM »

Little known fact:
When the Danvers property was sold, a grave error was made.  The power plant was included in the sale, for the nitwits in Boston figured it wasn't being used by anyone!  OOpps, little did they realize that aging beast that was built around the time of the Civil War provided the heat and hot water to the Hogan Center!  This dawned on the nitwits after the paperwork was all signed!  A deal was made to give the state time to install furnaces and industrial water heaters in each building.  After all, an aging heating system that used 1 million gallons of number 2 oil was expensive indeed! 

These are pics of the inside of the power plant, which will be torn down in the next 2 years. 
Mike Dijital
Webmaster
Urbex Legend

• Immortals

• Est. 1975

View Profile Dijital Photography
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »

I love the tunnel going up the hill, could you go very far in it?
    wettmickey
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »

The utility tunnel goes straight up to the Kirkbride.  That little "hut" that still stands in the V in the road just after the Beverly at Danvers is part of this tunnel.  The hut was there to act as a secondary entrance, and as a bus stop.  Many Danvers employees would take the bus to work, stop there, enter the tunnel, take off their winter boots and coats, and walk up the stairs to the main Kirkbride building basement. 

Ademan
    Urbex Legend

Forum

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:32 AM »

I know it's not from the powerhouse or anything, but I havent really had anywhere else to post it, and it's not worth it's own thread, so I'mma kinda hijack this one a bit.

This is from the main towerish thingy on the admin(?) building. we snuck in right after they opened the condos and found our way inside it.
    wettmickey
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »

Nice pic, I love those old round windows.  I met a Comcast installer that does alot of installs/trouble calls for that complex.  He told me, they often do not shut the utility room doors well.  So keep checking those doors! 

Some ghost hunting friends did a shoot up at the upper cemetery, one fell in the woodsy area around the lawn.  He felt around the ground, and found an old ball covered with about an inch of dirt.  Brought it home and cleaned it up.  Took the ball to a few antique dealers.  Learned it was an 70+ year old croquet ball!  A red leather ball!  Had one cut on it, but that was all!  Been sitting out there all this time!
    Big Ed
    Romper Room Do Bee
    Immortals
    Urbex Legend

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »

You could easily walk down to the powerhouse  from underneath the J-building.  It was hot and stuffy most of the time, there's a roundhouse where the pipes branchout to different buildings.
    If life hands you melons your're probably dyslexic
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    « previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
    Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.