Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Regional Urban Exploring  |  Everything else  |  Nuclear Spring
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nuclear Spring  (Read 954 times)
Axle
Urbex Legend

Hello World!

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »

It was another perfect day in Tenneesse that found our rather unique crew out in the rural areas just outside of Kingsport. I had been wise and left my Ontario plated car behind as Ontario was a good twelve to fourteen hour drive north. Our target...the newly renamed "Government Tractors" formerly known as Baby Spiders. Like it's bigger cousin, Government Spiders four hours west, Tractors is a never completed Nuclear Power Station.

Construction began in 1977, Tractors was going to be a two unit, boiling water reactor. But after the incident at three mile island in 1979, and costs going higher and higher, construction was halted in 1982, after a lot of work had been completed on one of the units, even the base of hte cooling tower had been completed, but not the tower itself. Construction of the second reactor unit never was started.

Today, it's a playground of rebar and concrete. Our group, moves in, keeping it to small numbers for entrance as to not alert local businesses to our little foray into this abandoned behemoth. Under the fence and up and ramp and we're inside, I was in awe. I mean I had been to power stations before, but all completed and then abandoned, but they were coal powered, never nuclear...and never in such a semi-complete state. It was rust and concrete everywhere....and farm equipment (hense the new nickname of Government Tractors).

After an aerial silks show by our host, we slipped back out, right under the the noses of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)...and reconvened for dinner in downtown Johnson City for good German food...beer, and even music!

Up on the Silks -- taken with a 1970s 35mm Tilt-Shift lens and a guessed exposure

Our entertainment for the evening

Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm 1:2.8 (save No. 9 with a PC-Nikkor 35mm 1:2.8)
k8 vonwolfie
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »

7 is awesome!!! so awesome!

and the silks show? how cool! i wouldn't even imagine doing that in an abandoned location.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.