Deggi5
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Downloads Login Register
Deggi5  |  Regional Urban Exploring  |  New England  |  Sterling Opera House. Derby, CT
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sterling Opera House. Derby, CT  (Read 879 times)
Mad Dawg
OG Fuck Nigga
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »

Constructed in 1889, this beautiful opera house played host to entertainers such as Red Skelton, Harry Houdini and composer John Philip Sousa amongst numerous others before the top floor of the building containing the theater closed in 1945. The remaining first two floors were used for both city hall administrative purposes and the town police station until the building was completely shuttered in the late 1960's. It has stood vacant ever since.

According to our gracious host and guide, MarkAnthony Izzo, a shipbuilder was brought in during the building's construction to give the theater its distinctive curve. This is reflected in the framework below the balcony, where it is evident that great care and craftsmanship were taken to build something truly grand and unique. Acoustically, this structure is unparalleled. The quietest whisper or lightest scuffle of a shoe is amplified tenfold inside the cavernous space that once seated 1250. Downstairs, numerous reminders of the former city hall and police station appear around every corner. A cramped, pitch black block of jail cells lend credence to the claims of paranormal activity in the building. Amongst the peeling paint and crumbling walls, doors containing the lost epitaphs of "mayors office" or "city clerk" appear hauntingly aged.

We were very fortunate to receive legal permission to photograph this beautiful treasure of a lost era. One can hope that Save Our Sterling, the Sterling Opera House Endowment Fund and the city of Derby will be successful in their bid for preservation and eventual reopening of this wonderful building in the not so distant future.

3lyssa
Urbex Legend

Forum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »

I am so sad I missed out! However, that day was pretty good to me. Can't lie. Great set! I also like that you gave a little bit of information before hand. Sweet job. & Sweet self portrait, as per usual. I don't know which one is my favorite, but they are all wonderful. Keep up the good job. As usual, look forward to seeing more of your work! -3ly
k8 vonwolfie
Urbex Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »

This place was a lot of fun. I'm glad I really pushed mark so that we could see it before you went back home. Glad you had fun baby! Pics r awesome.....mine are all basically the same. Way to steal shots! Haha.  My favs the one from the stage. Place is so gorgeous with the rounded seating.
SteaZer
S.O.L
Urbex Legend

"lord rick's tha shit"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

im digging #2.. kudos
Team FAT Kidz
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.